One of my biggest doubts, when I decided to set up a small working shop at home, was which tool should I buy first? Oh, a real nightmare. I was reading, researching and you don’t want to know how much time I’ve spent on it!
Once I’ve gathered all the information, I’ve decided to start with a cordless drill!
Why drill and why cordless?
Well, first it was affordable, and I could use it for many different tasks around the house.
It is lightweight, versatile, and practical.
It took a while to learn all this tool can. But now, I don’t start doing anything without a drill.
Knowing how hard it was for me to catch up everything, I’ve made you a list. Here you’ll find the best cordless drills for homeowners and their most important features. Hope this will make your life much easier.
Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 inch Compact Drill Driver Kit with Titanium Speed Tip Drill Bit Set
This is a very lightweight and compact tool ideal for working in tight spaces for long periods of time. With 2-speed variations you can choose the level of performance needed for various applications. It has ½ inch keyless chuck size. No load speed is 0-450/0-1,500 rpm and maximum power is 300 UWO.
The battery pack is not fully charged out of the carton. When you unpack your tool follow the instructions on page 2 in the user manual for charging procedure.
Bit set which is included in this set is ideal for drilling metal, wood, and plastics. There are no spin shanks. You will receive a tough case container to keep bits organized. They have titanium coating for longer life
- Compact and lightweight design
- High-performance motor with power ability to complete a wide range of applications
- It has 2 speeds solution (0-450 and 1500 rpm) for different fastening and drilling applications.
- 1/2-inch single sleeve ratcheting chuck provides stiff bit fascinating strength.
- Ergonomic handle for comfort and control
- 3-years limited warranty period
- Product weight is 3.64 pound
- The dimensions of the product are 1.9 x 9.9 x 4.2 inch
DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit
This set includes a one-hour charger, two 18-Volt Ni-Cad batteries, a double-ended screwdriver bit and a soft bag.
This drill is a big punch in a small package, with a powerful high-performance motor. Compact design improves user comfort, especially when working in tight spaces for a long time. Dewalt is offering a drill which is ideal for drilling and fastening with a variety of materials such as wood, metal, and plastic for applications (framing, cabinet installation). This tool is a great foundation for any professional contractor or DIY power-tool collector.
- Constructed to minimize user fatigue
- It has dual speed range( 0-450/0-1500 rpm) for great optimal performance
- Compact size
- 1/2-inch single sleeve keyless chuck for tighter bit grip
- Product weight is 4.7 lbs.
- Product dimensions are 14.8 x 13.5 x 4.7 inches
- High performance motor delivers max power of 380 UWO.
- 90 days money back return warranty
Hitachi DS18DGL 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver with Drill and Drive Bit Set, 120-Piece
The drill is notably lightweight and compact at 7.7 Inch in length and only 3.5 pounds weight. It is a perfect drill for a person looking for professional power in the most compact, lightweight and ergonomic tool body on the market.
The variable-speed reversible motor delivers up to 1,500-RPM and 22 clutch settings give you an opportunity to adjust the torque.
This model is designed to be slide typed, eliminating the traditional vertical battery chamber. This design makes it more comfortable to hold.
- The Reactive Force Control feature provides you safety while doing your task.
- The device is powered by 18v battery packs assuring long-lasting use. Although it is cordless, you can get your task done especially that the kit comes with a spare battery.
- It is slim and compact. You can get your job done with ease and comfort especially if you are dealing with tight areas.
- Combination of masonry, wood and metal drilling bits
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It has a built-in LED light focusing on your task.
- It’s powerful 400 in/lbs torque can help you get your task done in a short period of time
Bosch PS31-2A 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch 2-Speed Drill/Driver Kit with 2 Batteries, Charger and Case w/ 21 pc screwdriver bit set
This drill has two and 20+1 clutch settings. This allows users to make precise torque adjustments for accurate screw drilling or driving. With the high torque and two-speed settings, you will have an option to use the drill for materials such as drywall, wood and even metal. This tool has integrated LED lights for improved visibility. This will allow you to work anywhere, anytime, even in dark corners.
You can use this tool to drill or drive even the concrete. On fully charged batteries you can get about four hours of use. With the included quick charger, the other battery will be ready to go when you need it. The lightweight design really helps and prevents from arm fatigue, especially when drilling at shoulder height and above.
- Small dimensions and lightweight makes this tool great for overhead and tight working areas
- Best performance to size ratio
- Equipped with 3/8 in. single sleeve chuck
- LED light enables use of tool in low light or dark areas
- Includes two 12-volt lithium-ion batteries, a charger,a drill, two 1.5-in power drive bits and a carrying case
- 1-year base warranty
Makita XFD061 18V LXT Lithium-Ion COMPACT Brushless Cordless 1/2″ Driver-Drill Kit (3.0Ah)
It has an efficient brushless motor that delivers up 50% more work per charge, increased power and speed, and longer tool life.
For professional users, this means more drilling and driving power and greater productivity.
In driver mode, the adjustable torque settings provide more control for a full range of applications, from large fasteners to smaller, delicate screws. It weighs only 3.8 pounds for increased comfort and a superior power-to-weight ratio. The good news is that this model is compatible with Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries, from the fast-charging 18V LXT Compact 2.0Ah battery to full-size 18V LXT batteries for longer run time.
- This device has 2-speed transmission for a wide range of drilling and fastening
- It has a powerful brushless motor
- Brushless motor is electronically controlled to optimize battery energy use for up to 50% longer run time per charge
- This tool`s brushless motor eliminates carbon brushes and enables motor to run efficiently for longer life
- This drill weight is only 1.5 pounds
- The dimensions of the drill are 6.4 x 14.9 x 10.8 inches
- It includes 1 battery, 1 charger and a tool bag
- The producer gives 3-year limited warranty on the tool, the battery and the charger
Bosch 18-Volt Cordless Drill Driver/Impact Combo Kit CLPK232A-181 with 2 Batteries (2.0 AH Slim Pack Batteries), 18V Charger and Blue Carrying Case
If you are searching for drilling and driving flexibility, than this tool is ideal for you! This kit provides professional drilling and driving flexibility with two tools in a great combination package. This kit includes Drill/Driver and Hex Impact Driver.
This machine provides an upgraded chuck which gives additional torque transfer and an innovative 18-volt canned motor –this motor is more compact but gives the same power.
The impact driver is a fastening and driving machine delivering 1,500 In.-Lbs. of torque.
Both of the tools will get the job finished with batteries and quick charger included in this set.
With two speed settings (one for high torque (0-500 rpm) and one for high drilling speed (0-1,700 rpm) this machine is perfect for installers and construction contractors who need a performance in both drilling and fastening applications.
- The drill is durable with a heavy-duty chuck for better bit maintenance
- The drill/driver has keyless ratcheting 1/2 inch. chuck for one-handed bit changes
- The drill/driver has a compact design with the shortest head-length in class
- The drill/driver`s motor produces 600 in. lbs. of torque
- The drill/driver has ergonomic, small grip diameter for greater comfort
- The impact driver is the most compact in its class, with a 5.7 in. head-length and 3.8 lbs.
- The impact driver has quick-change chuck for additional productivity
- Both tools – built-in LED light
- Both tools – variable-speed trigger for control
- 1-year limited warranty
Hitachi DS18DBFL2S 18V Cordless Lithium Ion Brushless High Torque Driver Drill (Includes One 3.0Ah Compact Battery)
Tools with brushless motors run a long time between charges. This model features an ergonomic tool body and grip design, making a better-balanced power tool. What is good with this model is that it has a lot of torque. Excellent 620 pounds of torque makes it a powerful cordless suitable for the vast majority of household materials.
- The clutch provides 22 different torque settings
- There is an optical trigger switch that is wear-resistant allowing variable speed actuation that is more accurate
- Ratcheting 1/2″ all-metal keyless chuck locks safely in place for quick and secure bit changes
- The Lithium-Ion slide batteries are lighter weight and last longer between charges
- Integrated metal belt hook
- The drill has 620 in/lbs of torque, turning 1800 rpm
- There is a built-in LED light to light up dim or dark workspaces
- The drill weight is 3.5 pounds with the battery attached
- 2-year battery warranty
- 1-year battery charger warranty
There are many things that you should look up when you are choosing your best cordless drill for a homeowner:
Now get this: one of the most important considerations when buying a cordless drill is the warranty and the battery! Make sure to check both, is there a warranty for batteries and tool or just a tool. Some producers even have the warranty for the charger! If you use your drill often, you know what it means to have a good battery– you are more productive, able to work more quickly and be even more productive (especially with fast chargers).
There are various warranty periods and options: Some producers are giving the same warranty period for both; batteries and tool-usually this is a period of 1-2 years. But there are some of them who offer 2 years warranty for battery and 4-8 years for the tool. But you can also find a lifetime tool warranty. For example, Hitachi is giving lifetime warranty for tools and 2 years for the charger, 1 year for batteries! This sounds like a good deal!
Inform yourself well before purchasing.
Battery and power
A cordless drill is powered by a battery. Most of the producers are using a rechargeable Li-ion battery. These batteries will last long. They provide enough power to run the drill for a few hours. Older cordless drills may use NiCad rechargeable batteries. Even though Ni-Cad has been the favored battery because it gives you the power you need quickly for heavy-duty tasks, Li-ion batteries are mostly used because they provide a stable power source, quick recharge and what is most important, they are environmentally friendly.
You can choose battery power from 12-24V. 12V drills are more adequate for DIY jobs, they are cheaper and lightweight.
Torque measures the amount of force behind the drill to rotate the screw or drill bit into position. The higher the torque is the more power or forces the drill can produce.
The chuck is the part of the drill that holds the drill bit or screw. What we suggest is to choose keyless chucks. With keyless chuck when you want to remove the drill bits you just have to twist and remove the chuck. Single-sleeve chucks are securing the drill bit.
Brushed or Brushless Motor
The brushed motor is most standard for drills. The main distinguish between brushed and brushless motor is that brushless doesn’t have brushes. Brushless motor is more powerful than brushed but it is also more expensive.
But, have in mind that tool with a brushed motor will have longer run time and the battery will require less charging.
You can read a more detailed description of the difference between brushed and brushless drills HERE.
Other things that you should consider before buying:
Lights: Most cordless drills have LED lights, and we take this as a great benefit because it gives you the option to work whenever you want, even in dark places.
Reverse switch: The drill’s toggle switch will switch between the forward and reverse the spin of the drill head.
Speed: Most power drills will offer different speed settings. They measure the revolutions per minute, or RPMs the drill head can perform. A faster speed setting works well for drilling holes, while a slower speed setting works better for driving screws. You’ll often control the speed through a toggle switch.
Case: It will be great if your tool comes with a case. With a case, you will have your equipment well organized and your tool will be always safe.
Amps: If you want to know what is the drilling power than you should look amps on the tool. For homeowners, adequate drills are with a rating of 6 or 8 amps.
Usage: You can use a cordless drill for many different purposes: you can drill little holes, big holes, you can drive everything, mix paint and even concrete, you can sand curved surfaces, grind metal, remove dust, and create joints… and many more things.
We are hoping that this guide helped you to choose your drilling friend and that you now can say what is the best cordless drill for homeowners! Be careful while using your tool. Make sure to follow safety instructions and use safety clothes.
Enjoy using your tool and make holes in your home smartly if you don’t want to make your wife angry! 🙂